It is no secret that pollen count can significantly hinder our day-to-day lives. High pollen count can cause allergies, and asthma, and exacerbates respiratory issues. The good news is that there are a few ways to efficiently track and safeguard yourself from high pollen count.
This article will discuss how to track and protect yourself from high pollen count, such as using digital health apps and online pollen count maps, among others.
What is Pollen Count?
Pollen count measures the amount of pollen in the air at any given time and refers to the number of grains of pollen in one cubic meter of air. The pollen count is usually measured over 24 hours and is expressed in grains per cubic meter (grains/m3). The pollen count is mainly highest in the early morning and late evening, when the plants release the pollen.
How to Track High Pollen Count:
When it comes to tracking high pollen count, there are a few tools you can use to help you stay informed.
Mobile Phone Apps:
The first tool is mobile phone apps. There are many mobile phone apps available that can help you track pollen levels in your area. These apps can give you real-time updates on pollen levels and pollen forecasts. This can be especially helpful if you suffer from allergies or asthma. Before stepping outside or opening your windows, you can take the necessary precautions to protect yourself from high pollen count and track pollen levels. Many of these apps are free, and all you need to do is enter your location, and the app will provide you with the pollen count and the type of pollen in the air.
Online Pollen Count Maps:
Online pollen map are a great way to check the pollen count in your area. These maps are available on several websites, and all you need to do is enter your location, and the map will provide you with the pollen count and the type of pollen in the air.
How to Protect Yourself from High Pollen Count?
Once you know the pollen count in your area, there are a number of ways to protect yourself from a high pollen count.
- Stay Indoors: If the pollen count is high, it is best to stay indoors as much as possible. This will help reduce your exposure to pollen and the risk of allergic reactions or asthma attacks.
- Wear a Mask: If you must go outside when the pollen count is high, it is essential to wear a mask to help filter out the pollen. The mask should cover your nose and mouth and should fit perfectly.
- Avoid Pollen-Heavy Areas: If possible, avoid areas with high pollen counts, such as parks, gardens, and fields. You can track pollen levels using the two tools mentioned above. These areas tend to have higher pollen levels in the air, which can increase the risk of allergic reactions or asthma attacks.
- Keep Windows and Doors Closed: When the pollen count is high, it is important to keep windows and doors closed to stop pollen from entering your home. If possible, use an air conditioner to help filter the air and reduce the amount of pollen in your home.
- Vacuum Your House Regularly: Finally, it is also important to keep your home clean. Vacuuming and dusting regularly can decrease the amount of pollen in your home. You should also change your air filters regularly to help reduce the amount of pollen in your home.
High pollen count can be a major hindrance to our day-to-day lives. Fortunately, there are a few ways to track and protect yourself from high pollen count. Mobile phone apps, online pollen count maps, and local news sources can all help to trace pollen levels in your area. Additionally, you can also take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from high pollen counts, such as limiting your exposure to pollen, keeping your windows closed, and keeping your home clean. By taking these steps, you can help to reduce the effects of high pollen count.